In addition to assessing value to property, the Assessor also manages exemptions from property taxes.  Here you will find more information on the various exemptions.  Each type of exemption has it’s own unique application process – none are automatic.  If after reading this information, you have more questions or would like to request an application, feel free to contact us at


Idaho has a homeowner’s exemption for owner-occupied homes and manufactured homes that are primary dwellings. The exemption includes the value of your home and up to one acre of land.  This exempts 50% or $100,000 whichever is less of your assessed value.  Taxes are computed on the remaining value.

Years Maximum
1980-1982 $10,000
1983-2005 $50,000
2006 $75,000
2007 $89,325
2008 $100,938
2009 $104,471
2010 $101,153
2011 $92,040
2012 $83,974
2013 $81,000
2014 $83,920
2015 $89,580
2016 $94,745
2017-2021 $100,000

How to Apply:

To qualify for a homeowners exemption, it is necessary to own and occupy the home as your primary residence. See Idaho Code 63-602G   The application may be filed any time after you purchase, move in and make the home your primary residence.


Maintaining Exempt Status:

Once you qualify for this exemption, you do not have to re-apply unless you move or record a new deed. Sometimes a new deed is recorded during a refinance and inadvertent changes to your name may happen.  Always check on the status of your homeowner’s exemption after refinancing or if there is a change in your personal information (such as a name change). The assessment notice will indicate if there is a homeowner’s exemption on a property.

New Construction:

If your home is newly constructed and no one has ever lived in the home prior, you must apply for the homeowner’s exemption within 30 days of being notified by the Assessor that the home has been appraised. Otherwise, you may apply for the homeowners exemption for the following year.

Trusts and LLC’s:

If you place your home in a Trust or LLC, you may need to reapply for a homeowners exemption. It is also necessary to provide the Assessor’s office with documentation stating who is in control of the Trust of LLC per Idaho Code 63-703(4).

The Property Tax Reduction program (known as the Circuit Breaker) reduces property taxes for qualified applicants. The amount of reduction is based on the total household income for the previous calendar year. If you qualify, the property taxes on your primary home and up to one acre of land may be reduced by as much as $1,320.00. See all INCOME BRACKETS  here.

The property tax reduction can only be applied for between January 1st and April 15th. To receive this benefit, you must apply and qualify each year. It is not renewed automatically.

How to Qualify:

You may qualify for a property tax reduction if you meet the following requirements.

  1. Qualify for and have a Homeowners Exemption  and
  2. Your total household income for the prior year was $31,900 or less after deductions and
  3. You are in one or more of the following categories as of January 1st:
    • Age 65 or older
    • Widow(er) of any age
    • Blind
    • Fatherless or motherless child under 18 years of age
    • Former prisoner/hostage of war
    • Veteran with at least 10% service connected disability, or receiving VA pension for a nonservice-connected disability.
    • Disabled as recognized by the Social Security Administration, Railroad Retirement Board, or Federal Civil Service.  You may still qualify if your disability application is being processed or appealed.

Income Guidelines:

When completing the application, it is required to report all household income received in the prior year by you and your spouse (even if you are legally separated).

Types of income that must be included:

  • Wages
  • Interest (including taxable and nontaxable)
  • Dividends
  • Capital gains
  • Business, farm and rental net income
  • Social security/SSI (Supplemental Security Income)
  • Railroad Retirement
  • Unemployment/workers compensation
  • Pensions, IRA’s and annuities (except qualified rollovers)
  • Military retirement benefits
  • VA pensions and compensation (excluding VA Pension received for 40% and higher service connected disability, proof of rating)
  • Department of Health and Welfare payments (including Aid for Dependent Children and housing assistance)
  • Child support/alimony
  • Strike benefits
  • “Loss of earnings” insurance payments
  • Disability income from any source
  • Gambling winnings

Types of expenditures that may be deducted from your income:

*Charitable Donations are NOT deductible for this program
  • Medical/dental and related expenses not reimbursed by Medicare or other insurance (including vision, dental, prescriptions drugs, and mileage for trips relating to your health care)
  • Medical insurance premiums (home & auto insurance are NOT deductible for this program)
  • Payment or prepayment of funeral expenses for you and your spouse only
  • Business and farm losses (you must submit a copy of the appropriate federal schedule)
  • Early withdrawal penalties
  • Alimony paid


First time applicants need to present the following documentation to the Deputy Assessor at the time of application.

  • Social Security/Railroad Retirement 1099 forms or
  • Valid Idaho driver’s license, Idaho identification card, Social Security Card, or Birth Certificate
  • If disabled, provide certification of disability from Social Security or other agency (or show proof that your claim is being processed or appealed); If VA disabled provide certification from VA annually.
  • If blind, provide certification from your doctor.

All applicants that file an income tax return need to provide the following:

  • Federal income tax return
  • Documents showing income not reported on your income tax return
  • Proof of deductions:
    • Provide a copy of Federal Schedule A, if you itemized your deductions.  If you did not file a Schedule A, please provide the following:
      • Completed Medical Expense form and
      • Proof of payment of non-reimbursed medical expenses
      • Proof of all other deductions you are claiming

All applicants that don’t file an income tax return need to provide the following:

  • Social Security/Railroad Retirement and all other 1099 forms you received
  • W-2’s
  • Any other documents showing income not already reported
  • A completed medical expense statement and proof of payment of non-reimbursed medical expenses. Statements from your medical providers with totals are preferred. (documentation must show amount actually paid not just amount billed)
  • Proof of all other deductions you are claiming

Valley County Contact:

Sue Leeper
(208) 382-7126
Fax: (208) 382-7187

The agricultural program, also known as the ag exemption, reduces the taxable value of agricultural land.

Idaho Code 63-604, describes agricultural land as: land actively devoted to agriculture and a part of a bona fide profit-making agricultural venture.  The land is further described as follows.

  • Used to produce field crops (and / or)
  • Used  by the owner or bona fide lessee for grazing of livestock to be sold as part of a net profit-making enterprise
  • Land shall not be classified or valued as agricultural land which is part of a platted subdivision with stated restrictions prohibiting its use for agricultural purposes
  • Land utilized for grazing of a horse or other animals kept primarily for personal use or pleasure shall not be considered to be land actively devoted to agriculture

Application Deadline

Initial application must be made in the Assessor’s office by April 15th of the year in which the owner is seeking the agricultural classification on the land.


Valley County Contact:

Sue Leeper
(208) 382-7126
Fax: (208) 382-7187

Idaho’s Forest Tax Law

Forest landowners with at least five acres but less than 5,000 acres may qualify for the timber exemption as defined in Idaho Code 63-1701.  The property owner has a choice between two tax systems; a Productivity Tax system or a Bare Land and Yield Tax. These two tax systems provide Idaho’s 12,200 owners of small woodlands with property tax options which recognize their diverse ownership goals.  The Assessor’s office can provide you with the necessary paperwork to designate your land as timberland.

When filling out the designation form, remember that:

(1) A forest land management plan is required, and

(2) The designation form (FT-101) must be signed by all the owners of the property.


Religious, nonprofit, fraternal and other organizations can apply for exemption from property taxation by requesting an application at  To see if your organization may apply, examine chapter 6 of title 63  in Idaho Code.

Please complete all portions of the application as fully as possible and include any supporting documentation.  This application along with all pertinent documents must be returned by April 15th of the year you wish to receive the exemption.  If more information is required to make a decision, you may be asked to appear in a hearing before the Board of Equalization.

Exemptions will not be granted on future building sites (speculative land) or area leased to a non-qualifying entity.

Exemptions are granted for only one year at a time.  After an exemption is first granted, a declaration is mailed yearly.  Failure to complete and return this declaration by the deadline will result in the removal of the exemption.




June Fullmer

Chief Deputy Assessor

Sue Leeper

Office Supervisor

Deedee Gossi

Phone: (208) 382-7126

Fax: (208) 382-7187


Monday - Friday

8:00 am - 5:00 pm

Dept of Motor Vehicles


Cascade Office:

219 N. Main Street

Phone: (208) 382-7141

Fax: (208) 382-7187


Monday - Friday

9:00 am - 3:30 pm

McCall Office:

475 E Deinhard Ln. Ste 106

Phone: (208) 634-8102

Fax: (208) 485-7558


Monday - Friday

9:00 am - 3:30pm