Medical Assistance

It is the policy of the State of Idaho that each person, to the maximum extent possible, is responsible for his or her own medical care and to that end, shall be encouraged to purchase his or her own medical insurance with coverage sufficient to prevent them from needing to request assistance. However, in order to safeguard the public health, safety and welfare, and to provide suitable facilities and provisions for the care and hospitalization of persons in this state, and, in the case of medically indigent person, to provide for the payment thereof.

What is the Indigent Assistance Program?

Indigent Assistance is a program created and controlled by State law designed to help Valley County residents in paying hospital and medical bills in limited situations.

How do I apply for assistance?

Any person seeking assistance with payment of medical bills must do so by completing and filing an approved application form. You can obtain an application at McCall Memorial, Cascade Medical Center or Valley County Indigent Services.

What is Medically Indigent?

Any person who is in need of necessary medical services and who, if an adult, together with his or her spouse, or whose parents or guardian if a minor, does not have income and other resources available to him from whatever source sufficient to pay for necessary medical services.

Liens and Reimbursement

  • If you or a 3rd party submit an application for assistance with your medical bills, Valley County will place a lien on your REAL and PERSONAL property; AND
  • If you are ordered to reimburse the county in an amount less than the actual cost of medical bills paid by Valley County, all liens will remain active until Valley County and the Catastrophic Health Care Program have been paid back the full amount that has been expended on the applicant’s behalf.
  • Using taxpayer funds, Valley County pays out more than $200,000.00 annually to assist county residents who are in need. These funds are provided through property taxation and the Board of County Commissioners believes that where possible, these funds should be recovered so that others who are in need can be helped. Reimbursement also reduces the need to increase taxes for this purpose.

Violations and Penalties

If you file an application for assistance and you withhold or give false or incomplete information in order to get assistance from the County that you are not entitled to, you could be found guilty of a Misdemeanor.

Indigent Director
Jody Green
Phone:  (208) 382-7110
Fax:      208-382-7193